Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)
Health-Related Decisions and Recommendations
The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) is a voluntary, self-regulatory organization for India's advertising industry. The council and its Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) evaluate complaints from consumers and industry which assert that advertisements are false, misleading, indecent, illegal, leading to unsafe practices, and/or or unfair to competition, and therefore violate the ASCI Code for Self-Regulation in Advertising. In April, the complaints that were upheld against health-related claims included:
- Alshifa Churna's advertisement claimed that it gives 'result in 10 days of extra fat reduction on stomach,' 'gets you relief from constipation, sugar, high blood pressure, gas, acidity and piles without operation'.
- Anant Clinic's advertisement claimed that it 'provides successful cure of male infertility,' 'internal weakness,' 'premature ejaculation erectile dysfunction,' 'childlessness,' 'skin disease,' 'psoriasis and tumour in breast.'
- Ganesh Wheat Product Pvt Ltd: Ganesh Atta's print advertisement claimed that they are 'processed through reverse osmosis, Ganesh bajra Atta and Ganesh Makkai Atta, prevent several health hazards and give you more nutritious and delicious rotis every day, Bajra (pearl millet) and Makai (Maize) are processed through water purified by reverse osmosis which makes the rotis more wholesome.' These claims need to be substantiated. In the absence of comments from the advertiser, the CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisement were not substantiated. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code.
- GM Pharmacy: Sadabahar Sugar Free's advertisement claimed that 'Sadabahar sugar free is a diabetes killer powder,' 'most effective medicine in diabetes.'
- Gogaji Hair & Skin Care Centre: Gogaji Hair Oil's advertisement claimed that 'Gogaji Hair Oil stops baldness, stops hair fall.'
- Herbal Icon India: Trugesic's advertisement claimed that it 'helps to get rid of kidney stones in just 9 day course,' 'magical ayurvedic medicine.'
- IPSA Labs Pvt Ltd.: Eraser Ayurvedic Skin Cream's advertisement claimed that it 'is a mixture of 8 essential herbs which removers every kind of spots from your face and skin'.
- Kamboj Foods Pvt Ltd: Kamboj Proper Diet's print advertisement claimed that 'Benefits of Kamboj Proper Diet 100% Natural QPM grain are that, it helps you rid of obesity and weakness, increases IQ and immunity power, makes your married life happy, keeps IT professionals away from stress.'
- KPR Herbals's advertisement claimed that 'Sex weakness in men and all sex related diseases can be cured by Power Booster,' 'not interested in sex,' 'couldn't achieve complete satisfaction in sex,' 'erotic problems,' 'fast disposal of semen while on sex,' 'couldn't satisfy sexually your mate,' 'weakness of sperms all these can be cured through our herbal medicine treatment.'
- Lotus Granges (India) Ltd: Scent Soft Bio's advertisement claimed that 'it is made to eliminate objectionable odour with helpful microbes, which digest bad smell.'
- Musli Sakthi Herbals Pvt Ltd.: Musli Sakthi's advertisement claimed that there's 'no need of Viagra now,' 'first time in the world Musli Sakthi in silver colour powder form'. 'Complete result within 7 days,' 'happiness in sex and immediate solution for the sex problems.'
- Naaz India Company: Naaz Fat Cut Granuals in their advertisement claimed that they are a 'new invention regarding obesity,' 'result of 10 years of hard work of doctors,' 'no side effects on body,' 'body does not become over weight or underweight,' 'skin becomes tighter, youthful, beautiful &doesn't loosen again,' 'stomach becomes flat for sure,' 'government recognized medicine,' 'expert doctors of Naaz India health care company have made Naaz cut granules for complete fat reduction & it is approved by Government Ayurveda department of India.'
- Naaz India Company: Naaz Hair Up Oil's advertisement claimed that it 'stops hair fall,' 'provides successful cure of baldness.'
- Nature Green Herbal Care's advertisement claimed that, 'it increases time of your sexual activities,' 'made with miraculous desi herbs,' '100% result, and no side effect.'
- NCP Herbal: Sovolin Ayurvedic's advertisement claimed that it 'gives soft, smooth and silky skin with the touch of Sovolin which other cannot give.'
- R K Herbals Pharmacy's advertisement claimed that 'this formula is 400 years old and has been used by the Nawabs and the Maharajahs to enhance their sexual life.' 'It improves vitality, increases volume and quality of semen, helps in treating erectile dysfunction.'
- Raj Power Capsules's advertisement claimed that 'relief to sex weakness in males within 2 hours,' , 'nervous weakness,' 'quick disposal of sperms,' 'inability to enjoy long time sex,' 'sex effects due to diabetes to cure all these problem'.
- Sagar Dispensary's advertisement claimed that 'Dr. S.A. Ali is an expert in STD'. 'Treats patients with problems like less sperms, impotence & provides complete and permanent cure,' 'our successful treatment has cured lakhs of disheartened patients and given them new life'.
- Sarkar Dispensary's advertisement claimed that it 'is the Best Ayurvedic clinic of 2011.'
- Stammering Cure Centre advertisement claimed that the centre 'Partha Bagchi (world leader in stammering cure since 22 years) cures stammering in 12 days.'
This page was posted on February 2, 2017.