Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)
Health-Related Decisions and Recommendations
The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) is a voluntary, self-regulatory organization for India's advertising industry. The council and its Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) evaluate complaints from consumers and industry which assert that advertisements are false, misleading, indecent, illegal, leading to unsafe practices, and/or or unfair to competition, and therefore violate the ASCI Code for Self-Regulation in Advertising. In May, the complaints that were upheld against health-related claims included:
- Alfa Wellness: Their advertisement claimed that they help 'reduce weight 3 to 10 kg every month,' with 'no surgery, no gym, no yoga and no side effects.'
- Bahar Hair Oil: Their advertisement claimed that the oil is 'anti-baldness hair oil,' it 'stops hair fall,' 'starts re-growth,' 'stops greying of hair' and 'get rid of baldness.'
- Bhagyesh Health & Beauty Care Pvt Ltd: Their advertisement claimed that Height Grow Capsule '75 lakh satisfied customers,' 'World's No. 1 product. Effective till the age of 34,'' Increase your height up to 3-5 inches in 90 days.'
- Big B XL Capsule & Cream: In their advertisement they claim that Big B XL Capsule & Cream helps you 'enlarge and tighten, small and loose breast,' 'get the real experience of womanhood by completely developing the breast.'
- BIOTECH UNIT - II: Sanjeevan Pharma - More Power Capsules's advertisement claims that it helps 'for physical development that has been stopped,' 'helpful in stunted growth, body weakness, general debility,' 'good growth is essential for getting a job as an air hostess.' Visual implies improvement in stature.
- Breast Care Capsule & Massage Oil: In their advertisement they claim that it 'increases the beauty and gives you the feeling of womanhood by developing the breasts that are underdeveloped and not in proper shape,' 'increase the shape and beautifies the small, loose, shapeless breasts,' 'take a 3 month test for sure,' 'advertisement is information for R.M.P. only' & 'results may vary.'
- Buster Health Care Ind. Pvt Ltd: In their advertisement Herbal Super 30 Capsules/Oil claims that it provides 'quick relief from impotence, premature ejaculation, small penis, thinness, bad nerves, masturbation, mistakes in childhood, infertility, less sperms and night fall.'
- Chaudhary Health Care - In their advertisement Sex Grow Powder/Nari Fit Syrup claims that the 'sex grow powder develops nerves, gets rid of small size and thinness and makes nerves stronger and harder, this powder helps to get rid of premature ejaculation, night fall, Ghat nashak and less sperms.'
- Chirayu Health Care Centre: In their advertisement they claim that one can 'benefit in 15 days,' also help cure 'small penis, thin penis, premature ejaculation, night fall, impotence, Get rid of nil sperms and increase sex time.'
- Clear Skin Laser Skin & Hair Clinic: In its advertisement they claim that 'Dark or tanned skin. Put a full stop to your frustrations,' Visuals are misleading. 'Clear skin laser skin and hair clinic cures and control treatments for the severest and most stubborn cases of dark/ tanned skin.' These claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data, proof of efficacy, along with details of benefitted customers. The CCC, on examining the scientific data submitted by the advertiser, concluded that claim of 'removal of tanned skin,' was not false. This complaint was NOT UPHELD. The 'removal of dark skin' was inadequately substantiated. This complaint was UPHELD.
- Dabur India Ltd: In its advertisement Dabur Lal Tail claims that 'If babies are massaged by Dabur Lal Tail, then the babies grows twice as fast,' 'ingredients of the oil contain herbs that enable faster growth of the babies'
- Deemark Healthcare Pvt Ltd: In its advertisement Deemark Shakti Prash says that 'with time, there is inner weakness in males and females lose their desire, in such a case, married life loses its joy and domestic fights increase. In such situations Shakti Prash acts as panacea for males and females. It gives complete manhood to man and makes female complete.' Visual in pack shots implies sexual pleasure benefit.'
- Dr. Batra's Positive Health Clinic Pvt Ltd: The clinic's advertisement claimed that they are 'world's largest homeopathy clinic chain.'
- Dr. Manjiris Instasculpt: Their advertisement claimed that they 'transform your body into a perfect hour glass in an hour, safe, non-surgical, permanent, instant.'
- Dr. N. Dharmarajan Hospital: The hospital's advertisement claimed that they can 'help men in curing sex weakness, nervous weakness, having infertility problems & promises 100% success guaranteed in treatment.'
- Dr. Nandlal Tiwari Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.: In their advertisement Carctol claims that it is a 'ayurvedic medicine which is effective for treatment of cancer.' 'This Ayurvedic medicine, Carctol has benefited patients those suffer from cancer of esophagus, uterus blood cancer, prostate brain, gal bladder, colen, breast, urinary bladder, bone ovary, etc.'
- Dr. Paresh Patel Remedies: The clinic's advertisement claimed that they are a 'special clinic for knees,' they 'give new life to your knees.' They further claim that 'If you are suffering from unbearable pain of your knee joint and you are not even able to climb one step, such patients will be able to climb full staircase twice in just 3 days easily,' 'you can sit on the floor by folding your legs, sound coming from your knees will be cured by modern LLLT laser treatment and medicine and you will be easily able to walk and climb stairs,' 'pain will stop.'
- Eva Bio Trade X Pvt Ltd: In their advertisement Aamourr Capsules claims that it is a 'natural ayurvedic alternative for men and women for vita, stamina, vigor and vitality.' Visual on pack shot suggestive of sexual pleasure.
- F.M. Marketing: In their advertisement Og - 3 Veg claims that 'Vegetarian Omega – 3 are from Flax Seeds' The super reads: 'Soft gelatin capsules cell is not vegetarian.' The CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the Ad and cited in the complaint were misleading. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.4 of the Code.
- Fresh Fair: In its advertisement Fresh Fair claims that it has the 'highest record of reducing 40-47 kg weight and increasing 1-10 inches height.'
- Health Sanctuary: Their advertisement claimed that they can help with: 'On the spot flab reduction through combination of Six Non-Surgical Lipolysis procedures. In just one session of combination - Lipolysis. – One can lose 12 -15cms (from two areas), helps remove double chin and facial flab. So now, no matter how old, how stubborn, however soft or flabby is your fat, it's going to go for sure, permanent and instant removal of stubborn fat, clinically proven with no side effect.'
- Hearing Home Hospital: In their advertisement they claim that if 'You can't hear? We make you hear within three hours from our treatment,' 'Giving treatment to all ear related problems by curing completely,' 'we make you to hear without surgery or ear phone.'
- Herbs De Olivia: Their advertisement claimed that Olivia Hair Remover helps with 'skin whitening moisturizing,' 'it is dermatologically tested' 'makes your skin fairer,' 'allergen-free.'
- Hercules Healthcare: In their advertisement Long Looks Height Gain Capsule claims that they are 'world's first invention,' helps achieve 'long looks' for boys and girls (Grow Faster) & 'helpful in physical development.'
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd: The advertisement of Dove Split End Rescue System claims saying 'try the new Dove Split End Rescue System, its breakthrough split-end technology helps bring your split- ends together to give you up to 4x less split-ends.'
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd: The advertisement of Pond's pure white Face Wash claimed that 'Pond's pure white Face Wash contains activated-Carbon which goes in the depth of your skin and removes dirt and pollution and saves you from being affected by any skin problems,' 'you get instant glow on your skin.'
- Javerian Herbal Lifescience Pvt Ltd: In their advertisement Bangkok Night Capsules claims that it 'fills your life with power, energy, self-confidence and brings new enthusiasm,' 'Bangkok Nights Power capsules Gold Coated' Visual implies sexual pleasure claims.
- Jolly Pharma (India): Jolly Sunsex Gold Capsule & Oil's advertisement claims that after the consumption of the capsule 'weakness disappears, awakens pleasure, gives strength and vitality so that every moment becomes lively,' the visual on the pack is shot with a picture of a man and women implies sexual pleasure.
- Kailash Ayurved: Their advertisement claimed that it is 'World's No. 1 German Power increaser machine which gives successful treatment of small size, thin, crooked and gives you the shape you want,' helps with problems like impotency, nil sperms, night fall etc.' Also claims saying 'with 30 days medicine get power increaser gel, excitement capsule, Masti Oil, DVD, 8 GB, memory card free.'
- L'Oreal India Pvt Ltd: In their advertisement L'Oreal White Perfect Laser Cream claims that they provide 'incredible whitening radiance superior to laser treatment,' 'Super reads: laser treatment= 1 IPL session.'
- Luna Pharma: In its advertisement Stonecure Kit claims that it is '100% treatment without & it dissolves the stone from kidney.'
- Mayopathy Energy Centre: In its advertisement they claim that 'If hands and legs disabled, cannot walk; admit them here & we make them walk,' 'Mayopathy that i.e. Muscular dystrophy, paralysis, immaturity in brain, born with disabled legs, erosion in bones, joint pains all these can be cured within short period and make your child walk,.' The admitted children get physical improvement within 60 days.'
- Medikom Healthcare: In their advertisement they claim that it is a 'no. 1 course & is helpful to increase time and size,' 'get rid of sex weakness, premature ejaculation, night fall, not taking time, lose nerves, small size, crookedness, less sperms.'
- Om Sai Ayurveda India Ltd: In their advertisement they claim that it helps you 'increase your height or get back the money,' 'this medicine circulates your blood in the correct manner and gives nutrition to nerves and rejuvenates the hormones that increase the height,' 'this medicine has to be taken for just 90 days and you will see for yourself the increase in your height or get back your money,' 'expert consultation for sexual problems,' 'increase in enthusiasm and strength or else get back your money.' (Visual of man and woman implying sexual pleasure enhancing product)
- Osho Ayurved Dawakhana: In their advertisement they claim that they help cure 'male weakness, night fall, less sex desire, small and thin organ, premature ejaculation, seminal disorders,' '100% guaranteed ayurvedic cure for sex patients.'
- Prince Pharma: In its advertisement 2 Much Gold Capsules claim that it 'increases energy, brings back youth, makes you healthy,' 'for enthusiasm, zeal and strength,' 'adds love to husband-wife relationship.' Visual of man and woman implying sexual pleasure.
- Reckitt Benckiser India Ltd: The advertisement of Veet Body Moisturiser claimed that '8 out of 10 women who tried Veet Body Moisturiser agree that only this gives longer lasting smoothness,' 'it's unique pro minimize formula delays hair re-growth which makes your skin feel touchable, smooth for a longer time,' 'Women agree that with Veet Body Moisturiser you need to remove hair less often.'
- Retail Guru India Pvt Ltd: The advertisement of Mirakul Pain Killer Oil claimed that they are 'India's No.1 pain relief oil.'
- Sindhu Homeopathic Centre: Their advertisement claimed that the centre provides 'Homeopathic treatment which is safe, permanent, with no side effects, no operation for surgical disease' & also help with 'increased height & chest.'
- Spaceage Multiproducts Pvt Ltd: In its advertisement Easy Breather air purifierclaims that it 'produces air vitamins - produces negative ions popularly known as air vitamins to relieve you from allergies and respiratory problems.'
- Sri Hari Agro Industries: Their advertisement claims that 'using mustard oil reduces chances of heart attack by 71%..' In the absence of comments from the advertiser, the CCC concluded that the claim, 'Using mustard oil reduces chances of heart attack by 71%,' was not substantiated. The ad contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code.
- Sri Om Ayurvedic Seva Sansthan: The sansthan's advertisement claimed that they can ensure '100% successful treatment of Brain, Heart, Kidney and stomach disease, kidney stone, prostate, Obesity, skin disease, Diabetes, Arthritis etc,' 'Specialist of STD and Sexual disease, 'Golden opportunity for unemployed.'
- Vimal Oil & Food Ltd: Vimal Rice Bran Oil's advertisement claims that 'Vimal introduces the ancient Japanese anti-ageing secret-Rice Bran Oil, the finest cooking oil which helps you stay healthy and young,' 'Oryzanol- Improves HDL/ LDL ratio, healthier heart,' 'Squalene- Improves skin tone and delays wrinkle formation,' 'Ferulic Acid - stimulates hormonal secretion, rejuvenates health,' 'Balanced PUFA/ MUFA - Cleaner blood vessels,' 'Tocotrienols & Phytosterols - Anti-cancer properties,' 'Viatmin E- helps maintain balance of nervous system,' 'Natural Antioxidants - Protection against diseases,' ' World's Healthiest Cooking Oil.' 'Super: Rice Bran Oil - Nearest to WHO recommendations,' 'The Power of Oryzanol,' 'Healthy u, Happy U!' The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code.
- Welkin Convergence Pvt Ltd: Their advertisement claimed that 'Morning Mist's lustrous can prevent baldness and help grow hair from the roots, naturally.'
This page was posted on February 2, 2017.