Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)
Health-Related Decisions and Recommendations
The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) is a voluntary, self-regulatory organization for India's advertising industry. The council and its Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) evaluate complaints from consumers and industry which assert that advertisements are false, misleading, indecent, illegal, leading to unsafe practices, and/or or unfair to competition, and therefore violate the ASCI Code for Self-Regulation in Advertising. In December, the complaints that were upheld against health-related claims included:
- Aarogya Peeth: The advertisement of Aarogya Peeth claims natural cure for diseases like paralysis, joints pain, depression, piles, insomnia, obesity, motor neuron disease, bronchitis, chronic fatigue, diabetes, arthritis, gastric problem, sexual problems, etc. The advertisement claims to cure diseases without medicines, pain and side effects. It also states, "Acharya Ram Gopal Dixit - Neurotherapy health consultant at president estate clinic" and "Neurotherapy is an Ancient Indian scientific therapy with proven results."
- AG Herbs (Singapore) PTE Ltd (OPTM Health Care): The advertisement of OPTM Health Care claims "OPTM stops the degradation of the muscles." According to the experience of Phyto Therapy "it cures all the types of joint pains and also at a cellular and Molecular level.," "One bright name in the world of molecular Pain research OPTM, they claim to move forward with a dream of painless world in 2020." and "According to tests and reports 42 days therapy of OPTM diseases like Osteoarthritis can be properly treated and it leads to a good result."
- Aman Clinic: The advertisement of Aman Clinic claims permanent cure of STDs, night fall, premature ejaculation, thinness and crookedness of the penis, and cure for semen in urine.
- Ayurwin Pharma Private Limited (Nutrigain Range of Products): The advertisement of Nutrigain Range of Products claims that one can gain body weight and look strong and fit. They further claim "Nutrigain+ - Beneficial due to herbal combination," "Ayurvedic Proprietary Medicine."
- Biogreen Healthcare (Biogreen Japakusum): The advertisement of Biogreen Japakusum claims "To stop hair-fall." The visuals of before and after the treatment, shown in the advertisement were misleading.
- Capvar Healthcare (Faceon Fairness Cream): The advertisement of Faceon Fairness Cream claims to be No1. Brand recommended by doctors.
- Chetan Clinic: The advertisement of Chetan Clinic states 'Fit Dikhe, Sehat Banaye.' The advertisement, read in conjunction with the visual, claims that the medicine is made completely from Ayurvedic herbs, has no side effects and results can be seen in 10 days.
- CK Birla Hospitals (The Calcutta Medical Research Institute): The advertisement of The Calcutta Medical Research Institute claiming free checkup was false and misleading by omission in the absence of appropriate disclaimers.
- Dr. Ram Sarup Sharma Clinic: The advertisement of Dr. Ram Sarup Sharma Clinic claims to successfully treat 100 patients naturally. It also claims to be a USA-FDA approved treatment for chest pain and heart attack without pain and hospitalization. Thy further claim that one does not have to go through bypass surgery and angioplasty.
- Galaxy Bio-care (Knight Rider): The advertisement of Knight Rider claims to work and fight against mosquitoes even when there is no electricity for several hours which was misleading.
- General Mills India P. Ltd (Pillsbury Fridge Cheesecake): The advertisement of Pillsbury Fridge Cheesecake disparages a healthy diet of vegetable salads as the advertisement states "sada hua salad."
- Glamup Skincure Treatment Center: The advertisement of Glamup Skincure Treatment Center claims guaranteed treatment to stop hair fall without medicine within 15 days.
- GM Pharmacy (GM Pharmacy Range of Products): The advertisement claims that the product Sadabahar is a harmless ayurvedic medicine that successfully treats diabetes.
- Hasham Manji Padamshi Surmawalla (K-Veda Power Kalaunjiprash Gold): The advertisement of K-Veda Power Kalaunjiprash Gold states "Experience improved youthful performance with Kalaunjiprash Gold with Shilajit," "Regular consumption of Kalaunjiprash Gold brings masculine power and new life strength. Enjoy the power to perform and enjoy life" and "No Side Effects. Also, the advertisement's claims, read in conjunction with the visual, imply that the product is meant for enhancement of sexual pleasure, which is in breach of the law as it violates The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act.
- Health Sanctuary: The advertisement of Health Sanctuary claims 3 days weight loss challenge through C - lipolysis without any pain, injection, surgery and side effects. The advertisement also claims that one can lose upto 20-25 cm and up to 4kg through C- Lipolysis from abdomen, hips, thighs and arms. It further claims instant double chin removal. The advertisement states that the treatment is "Clinically Proven," "Losing Weight has never been so Easy, Fast and Safe" and claims to provide an Anti-Ageing procedure to reverse one's ageing process by Mesolift.
- HL Hahnemann Lab (Jac Olivol Body Oil): The advertisement of Jac Olivol Body Oil claims to be a unique invention of Ayurveda. It further claims that the oil contains lanolin, olive oil and is enriched with herbal extracts of arjuna, daruharidra, manjistha, neem, etc. which gives lovely, supple, blemish-free skin. On dry skin, this oil claims to be more effective than conventional moisturizers.
- Identity Wellness Centre Pvt. Ltd (Truweight): The advertisement of Truweight claims to be a nutrition based program which attacks seven root causes of obesity. They claim to be experts in nutrition, with over 25 qualified dieticians and have helped over 5000 people successfully to lose weight. The advertisement further claims to be a 100% natural treatment with no pills and no machines.
- Indore Diabetic Speciality Center: The advertisement of Indore Diabetic Speciality Center claims weight loss of 3 to 12 kg, with an absolutely safe and natural treatment, in a month without any surgery and side effects.
- JM Wellness Private Limited (B-Healthy): The advertisement of B-Healthy claims to be healthy and provide essential nutrition for men. With the power of 29 micronutrients, it claims to boost immunity, build stamina, protect the heart, improve eyesight, stimulate the brain, regulate cholesterol level, improve fertility, prevent micro-nutrient deficiencies and reduce hair-loss and premature graying.
- Krishna Herbal: The advertisement of Krishna Herbal claims successful treatment of weakness due to mistakes in childhood, smallness of penis, looseness, premature ejaculation, nightfall, impotency, semen in urine, reduced sperm count. The advertisement also claims to gain health in just 15 days.
- Laborate Pharma India Limited (Labolia Fair & Light for Men): The advertisement of Labolia Fair & Light for Men claims instant fairness. It also claims seven-way action through which one gets fairness.
- Makewell Pharmaceutical (Japani Capsule Range): The advertisement of Japani Capsule Range claims it is 100% ayurvedic. It also has a testimonial of Dr. Dhirendra Chauhan which claims that - Japani-F Capsule for women and Japani-M Capsule for men gives them a unique feeling. He "prescribed it to my patients and even to them who did not suffer from any problem to get complete happiness and they all were satisfied." He further claims the product is effective from the first day. Also, the advertisement's claims, read in conjunction with the visual and the pack visual, imply that the product is meant for enhancement of sexual pleasure, which is in breach of the law as it violates The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act.
- Max Healthcare Institute Ltd (Max Hospital): The advertisement if Max Hospital claims to save an ill heart in just 45 minutes, which appears to be false and misleading by omission, in the absence of appropriate disclaimers.
- Maxmarline Pharmaceuticals (Pariceff Cream & Gel): The advertisement of Pariceff Cream & Gel claims to make skin spotless and fair. It also claims to help in treating skin problems like wrinkles, dark circles and burn marks.
- No End Pharma (No End Power Capsules): The advertisement of No End Power Capsules claims "No End of energy & passion." They further claim to be a mixture of ayurvedic herbs, which keeps the energy and pep in one's body intact with no side effects. The advertisement also claims that one will experience a feeling of new youth, enthusiasm, energy and passion within a week's time.
- Params Pharma (Krissh Hair Oil): The advertisement of Krissh Hair Oil claims to erase all harmful effects of dyes. It also claims to be 100% ayurvedic with "Badam Rogan," to treat hair related problems like hairfall, dandruff, split-ends, baldness, itching and blacken grey hair.
- Prem Henna Pvt. Ltd (Nisha Color Sure): The advertisement of Nisha Color Sure claims that the product contains avocado oil which protects, strengthens and replenishes the hair. It also claims nourishment and protection of damaged hair. The advertisement further claims "Superior Damage Protection" "Long Lasting" and "Hair looking healthier and younger."
- Rich Feel Trichology Centre (Richfeel Anagrow): The advertisement of Richfeel Anagrow claims treatment of illness which leads to hair-loss by the use of RICHFEEL TST+. The illnesses include thyroid, stress, postpartum, PCOD and dieting.
- Shugreen Amrut Drops / Daibinash Churna: The advertisement of Shugreen Amrut Drops / Daibinash Churna claims to be a new discovery for diabetes patients, enabling them to now enjoy sweets without calories and any side effects. They also claim to be an alternative to sugar prescribed by a doctor. The advertisement further claims to be a zero calorie product, and also one such GMP certified product, which does not lead to increase in one's sugar levels even on regular consumption, instead they claim that one will get the nutrition of the sugar and one's blood pressure level will also become normal.
- Spemento / Swapandoshantak Capsule: The advertisement of Spemento / Swapandoshantak Capsule claims successful treatment of problems like nightfall, thinness of semen, sexual weakness, premature ejaculation, burning sensation in urine and sexual diseases. Also, specific to the claims related to the treatment of sexual impotency and the pack visual, the advertisement was in breach of the law as it violated The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act.
- Sumaya Herbs (Madhumeha Vijay Capsules): The advertisement of Madhumeha Vijay Capsules claims to be an effective medicine for controlling sugar. It further claimed that it is a mixture of Prameh Gaj Kesari which acts insulin.
- Super Height: The advertisement of Super Height claims to be the best medicine which increases height speedily, with 2 times faster results than usual. They claim to be an ayurvedic medicine made completely of herbs, to increase one's height by upto 5 inches in 3 months, with full money refunded if no benefits are found. It also claims to be the "World's No.1 product which increases height with speed now in India after Japan, China, America and Russia."
- Suyash Pharmaceuticals Private Limited (Sizer Oil): The advertisement of Sizer Oil claims to be 100% ayurvedic with no side effects. Also, the advertisement's claims, read in conjunction with the visual, imply that the product is meant for enhancement of sexual pleasure, which is in breach of the law as it violates The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act.
- Unique Permanent Hair Loss Cream: The advertisement of Unique Permanent Hair Loss Cream claims to get rid of unwanted hair permanently with the help of a cream by using it only twice. It also claims that the cream is 100% ayurvedic, with no side effects.
- Vicco Laboratories (Vicco Turmeric Skin Care): The advertisement of Vicco Turmeric Skin Care claims to be the only safe and natural skin cream. The CCC concluded that the claims in the advertisement of "A cosmetic cream for my skin? No . . Never!! Only 'Safe and Natural'" is misleading by implication and denigrates cosmetics creams.
This page was posted on February 4, 2017.