Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)
Health-Related Decisions and Recommendations
The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) is a voluntary, self-regulatory organization for India's advertising industry. The council and its Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) evaluate complaints from consumers and industry which assert that advertisements are false, misleading, indecent, illegal, leading to unsafe practices, and/or or unfair to competition, and therefore violate the ASCI Code for Self-Regulation in Advertising. In May, the complaints that were upheld against health-related claims included:
- Ayurwin Pharma Private Limited (Nutrislim Range of Products): The advertisement's claims "Are you overweight? Natural way to become Slim & Attractive," "Ayurwin's Nutrislim - Beneficial due to herbal combination.," "We us Ayurwin Nutrislim + every day in our family to maintain our fitness. We are slim and active.," "For Better Results Use Nutrislim + Powder & Capsules," were not substantiated.
- B.C.Ghosh Research Centre & Welfare Home: The claims "Freedom for lifetime from diseases like piles, fissure and fistula or any kind of anus related problems without any surgery" and "World's First Ayurvedic Cancer Hospital," were not substantiated.
- British Biologicals (D-Protin): The advertisement of D-Protin's claim "Meet the daily nutritional requirements of the body without increasing the blood sugar levels and urine," was not substantiated.
- Celebrate Life Wellness: The claim "Lose up to 30 centimeters and five kilograms in a month" was not substantiated.
- Dabur India Limited (Dabur Babool): The visual depiction in the advertisement of "a boy (minor) folding a metal wire with his teeth," shows a dangerous act which is likely to encourage minors to emulate such acts in a manner which could cause harm or injury. So, the complaint was upheld.
- Dabur India Ltd (Dabur Keratex Oil): The advertisement claims Dabur Keratex Oil to be "No 1* Oil" and "No. 1 oil for hair and Scalp." It further claims, "Dabur Keratex No. 1 Oil recommended by dermatologists," "Recommended by Leading Dermatologists as Best Hair Oil for Hair & Scalp Care," "Dabur Keratex has, in fact, been rated as The No.1 Branded Oil for Hair & Scalp Care by leading Dermatologists," "Hairfall control*," "Dandruff Control*," "Scalp nourishment*" and "*Dabur Keratex is effective Ayurvedic oil, formulated with selected herbs, that controls hair fall, dandruff and provide scalp nourishment." These claims were not adequately substantiated.
- Deaf Cure Centre: The claims "Cure Deafness," "Cure any kind of deafness without any operation and machines," "Make difference in hearing within an hour" were not substantiated.
- Devicaas Herbal Products Private Limited (Devicaas Range of Products): The advertisement's claim "Treatment of dandruff and hair fall in just three days," was not substantiated.
- Dhunseri Tea & Industries Limited (Lal Ghoda Tea & Kala Ghoda Tea): The advertisement claims "Drink and serve Tea full of Anti-Oxidants, make health & agility of mind and body." The advertisement further claims the product to be "100% Pure Assam CTC Tea." These claims were not adequately substantiated.
- Glamour World Ayurvedic Co Private Limited (Glow Plus Solution & Glow Hair Shampoo): The advertisement's claims that Glow Plus Solution & Glow Hair Shampoo regrows strong and beautiful hair and helps to regenerate new hair, were not substantiated. Also, the claim "Tested and proven by Jadavpur University's Clinical Research Centre," was found misleading by ambiguity.
- Glamour World Ayurvedic Co-operation Private Limited (Shine Guard Gel and Sunscreen Lotion): The advertisement claims "Shine Guard Gel and Sunscreen Lotion gives all round protection to your skin from ultra violet rays," was not substantiated with proof of product efficacy. Also, the visual showing complete protection was found to be misleading.
- GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Limited (Horlicks): The TVC advertisement suggests that consumption of Horlicks can be initiated at the time of exams for better concentration. The voice over "Exam aage – Dhyaan na Bhaage" gives the impression of instant effect on consumption of the product whereas longevity of consumption of the product is necessary for efficacy. The claim was found misleading by ambiguity.
- GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd (Boost): In the advertisement Boost claims its use "Increases stamina 3 times" was substantiated by a published research paper as per the J. Nutr. September 2011. However this study was among young children. In this context, the depiction of adult cricketers juxtaposed with the claim of "X3" was considered to be misleading by implication. Also, the duration of the supers in the TVC was not for 6 seconds.
- GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd. (Horlicks Lite): The advertisement of Horlicks Lite claims "Lite Horlicks ismain hain antioxidant nutrients jo zaruri hain body ko cell damage se protect karne ke liye" (with "+High Protein" claim in words). In the context of the overall communication, this claim was found to be misleading by implication.
- Gurudham Sanjivani Tea: The advertisement claims "Say bye bye to many diseases." It further claims that the product helps to protect from high and low blood pressure, controls the heartbeat, is beneficial for diabetics and also in controlling cholesterol. These claims were not substantiated.
- K.C. Food Products Private Limited (K.C. Digestive Biscuits): The advertisement's claims K.C. Digestive to be "India's best," "K.C. digestive can easily boast to be the best digestive in the market due to its highest content of whole wheat flour than any other Digestive biscuits," were not substantiated.
- Karna Acupuncture: The claims "Diabetes is no more incurable - No Medicine No Insulin, Successful treatment by Karna Acupuncture, natural insulin is produced in the body by Karna Acupuncture. It helps to cure Diabetes and also cures incurable diseases like epilepsy, thyroid. It has been proven by continuous research of 20 years by scientific technique," were not substantiated.
- M H Javerian & Sons (Madhu Kashtha Churna): The advertisement claims "Madhu Kashta Churna: Sugar Free - Helps to Control the high blood sugar level - Improves Eye Sight," were not substantiated.
- Modi Naturals Ltd. (Rizolo Rice Bran Oil): The advertisement on the pack claims "India's Finest Rice Bran Oil" and states the benefits of the product being, "Suitable for Diabetics," "Cholesterol Reduction," "Cancer Protection" and "Skin Health." All these claims were unsubstantiated.
- Naik Hospital: The claim "Get rid of the unwanted hair permanently through laser," was found to be misleading.
- Naturo-Herbal Clinic: The advertisement claims "Obesity - Lose weight Britannia Industries Ltd (Britannia 100% Whole Wheat Bread): The advertisement claims, "100% Whole Wheat Bread." This claim was found to be misleading.
- Naturopathic Clinic: The claims "Obesity," "You can lose weight up to five to 15 kilograms by normal diet and with the help of Natural Treatment. It is safe," were not substantiated.
- of Goumutra Plus Capsule helps in removal of accumulated toxins in the body and increases disease Prevention.," These claims were not substantiated.
- Olives Healthcare: The advertisement's claims "Stem Cell - For Hair Regrowth with PRP Technology Guaranteed Results," "Organic treatment - Five kilograms weight loss five Lipo session reduce arms, tummy hips & thighs in just one hour," "Breast up lifting, sagging, tightening & Shaping," were not substantiated. The visuals of before and after the treatment were misleading.
- Omega Hospitals: The advertisement's claim, "Omega Introduces Cyber Knife VSI- a robotic Radio surgery system, which reduces radiation therapy from 30-40 days to just 1-5 days," was considered to be misleading (notwithstanding the "conditions apply" disclaimer and the need for consumer to get clarification on their Helpline number). Also, the claim "Perfect alternative to surgery," was misleading and not substantiated.
- Organic India Private Limited (Organic Wheat Grass Powder): The advertisement claims that the product improves haemoglobin levels and aids in the regeneration of healthy cells in the body, also being beneficial for hypertension and in maintaining arterial health. The advertisement further claims, "Wheat grass also supports immunity and keeps infections at bay, has anti-ageing properties and prevents body odour" and "Dried moringa leaves are a storehouse of concentrated nutrition, so even a small daily dose can help correct imbalances in the body, add concentrated nutrition to your diet and help you reach the recommended daily dietary targets of fruits and vegetables." These claims were not substantiated.
- Parex Pharmaceuticals Private Limited (Junaid Sr Tablet): In this advertisement the claims in the context of cardiac dysfuntion i.e. "It decreases the swelling of the nerves, makes blood thin and makes heart powerful & increases blood circulation, as a result all the problems get cured and life becomes joyful in less expense without any side effects by consumption of 1 tablet daily," were not substantiated.
- Patidar Alsi: The advertisement claims, "Patidar Alsi is a rich source of Omega-3 Fatty Acid which reduces cholesterol. It also controls blood pressure and keeps your heart healthy and strong.," "It Controls diabetes - It contains Lignan which helps in regulating the levels of blood sugar by decreasing insulin resistance and keeps diabetes under control," "Patidar Alsi helps in reducing obesity by burning fat of your body and keeps you fit and healthy.," "Improves immunity against cancer - Based on research of Health and Nutrition Dept of the Flax Council of Canada, Flax seeds contain lignan which protects against breast cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer and improve your immune system.," "Flax Seeds in Patidar Alsi is good source of phosphorus & calcium. It strengthen the bones of the body," "For women it is very healthy as it helps to regulate ovulation process and restore hormonal balance in the body (Pregnant ladies should not consume flax seeds)," "Helps in increasing mental power. Flax seeds in Patidar Alsi help in developing brain cells and improve mental power.," "Health Benefit of Ayurvedic Ingredient of Patidar Alsi- Jethimadh(Licorice), it contains Glycyrrhizic, which helps in reducing mental stress and prevents from skin diseases.," "Health Benefit of Ayurvedic Ingredient of Patidar Alsi: Anni seeds- It gives you fresh breathe by removing up to 85% bacteria causing plaque and bad breath. It contains copper which helps in production of Red blood cell. It is a good source of anti-oxidant vitamins C & Vitamin A that helps protect from body deficiency and keeps the body healthy and fit.," "Health Benefit of Ayurvedic Ingredient of Patidar Alsi: Sesame Seeds- It contains sesamol- an organic compound which protects DNA from harmful effects of radiation - It is a good source of Zinc which helps in developing skin and hair cells and keeps them healthy - It helps in keeping skin and hair soft and silky." and "Patidar Alsi- World's largest Selling Ayurvedic Alsi ." These claims were not substantiated and found misleading.
- Phytotech Extracts Private Limited (Multea): The advertisement claims that Multea can be used in maintaining good health & sense of well being, preventing & managing diabetic complications, weight management, regulates carbohydrate absorption in the body, adds nourishment and keeps your body healthy." They also claim, "1st time ever." These claims were not substantiated.
- Pitambari Products Private Limited (Pitambari Gomutra Plus Capsule): The advertisement of Goumutra Plus Ghan Powder Capsule claims "Helps protect against many diseases. Goumutra Plus capsules have Goumutra powder and triphala churna. Regular consumption of it helps in increasing prevention of diseases. It maintains the balance of all the processes of the body" and "Consumption
- Razorbill (Shoolex): The advertisement claims the product to be ''100% Natural''. The advertisement further claims, "Shoolex contains selected herbs chosen by scientists which helps in relieving from migraine completely.," "Shoolex is a best quality product which has purified Godanti & Giloy extracts which helps in curing all kinds of headache.," "Shoolex is enriched with such kinds of herbs which helps in correcting the blood circulation in the head." and "Shoolex is a best medicine for migraine." The references with respect to treatment of the migraine are not related to the product and the claims were not substantiated. The other claims with respect to other kinds of headache and circulation in the head are neither relevant nor substantiated.
- Sadbhavna Hospital: The claim "Conceive a Child - Sureshot Solution and Treatment," was not substantiated.
- Sanat Products Ltd. (Uplat): The advertisement of Uplat recommends its use for medical conditions i.e. thrombocytopenia and in cases such as chemotherapy, liver cirrhosis, alcoholism. These claims were not substantiated. Further, the advertisement claims the product to be "Platelet Booster" "Immunomodulator" and "Indicated in Thrombocytopenia due to Chemotherapy, Cirrhosis, and Alcoholism. These claims were found to be misleading.
- Shrinivas Laboratories Private Limited (Dr Dec Gel): The advertisement claims "You do not need a doctor, you need Dr Dec Gel, Tablet mein bhi uplabhdha." The advertisement further claims, "Gently Massage with Dr. Dec Gel to get quick and long lasting relief in case of joints pain, knee pain, back pain, sprain and strain in muscles.," These claims were not substantiated.
- Siddhar Ear Foundation: The advertisement's claim "To treat ear problems within three hours without any surgery and hearing aid." was unsubstantiated.
- Skin N Smile: The advertisement's claim "Permanent hair removal" was found to be misleading.
- SMIC Cardiac Care: The claim "Get rid of heart related problems" was not substantiated.
- Sri Sai Herbal Acupuncture Centre: The advertisement claims "Asthma, do not ignore frequent cold, sneezing, falling of nasal catarrh in throat as these can be life taking" and "Get successfully treated and get relief in the first sitting with China's 5000 year old and modern machines which have been proved most effective and a boon.," These claims were not substantiated.
- Telemart Shopping Network Private Limited (Sandhi Sudha Pain Relief Oil): The advertisement claims "Sudha - Suitable medicine for curing Joint Pain (Arthritis) from its roots," "100% Effective," "Ayurveda has won over many diseases which have been a challenge on Medical Science. Sandhi Sudha is an old, sureshot and ayurvedic medicine for all joint pains and arthritis. Made from the rare and essential herbs from Himalaya Sandhi Sudha enters till the last layer of the skin and increases the fluid found in the joints, provides strength to the weak tissues which gives energy to the bones of the joint, swelling and pain come to an end," "Sandhi Sudha helps one to get rid of all joint related problems, so that you can enjoy every moment.," These claims were not substantiated.
- U P Yog Prakritik Chikitsa Sansthan: The advertisement's claim "Permanent Freedom from Joint Pain, Obesity, Asthma, Stomach Disorders, Insomnia and mental diseases," was not substantiated.
- Vibes Healthcare Ltd (Vibes): The advertisement's claims "Fast Inch Loss Melt Away Up to 12 inches," "Get permanent solution for your hair loss," "Excellent results with No Side Effects," "No Pain No Scars," were not substantiated. The visual showing the images before and after the treatment were also found to be misleading.
- VLCC Health Care Limited (VLCC Sun Defense Range): The advertisement of VLCC Sun Defense Range's claim "Get complete protection from damaging sun rays" ("Suraj ki nuksan Dayak kirano se sampoorna suraksha payein"), is misleading by exaggeration.
- VLCC Healthcare Ltd.: The advertisement's claim "Let Your Slimmer Self out in just 90 Mins" was considered to be misleading.
This page was posted on February 5, 2017.